Friday, June 10, 2016

Contributor Profile: Florence Fogelin



1. Who are you reading right now?

I just finished Gould’s Book of Fish, before that A Brief History of Seven Killings.  An Andrea  Camilleri novel (I forget which one), set in Sicily, for R&R!!  Poetry: Pamela Harrison and David Sullivan. I just bought The Sound and the Fury, having seen a superb production last year in NYC.


2. Do you write on paper or use your computer to generate a first draft?

I let things rattle around in my head, often for quite a long time.  Then I write on paper: a scrap, a notebook, or sitting down at a proper desk.  I resist putting it into the computer, because it looks “finished” when it isn’t. Then many revisions.


3. What books/authors do you keep coming back to?

Seamus Heaney, Alice Fulton, Wanda Syzmborska—and of course Robert Frost is always in my head.


4. Are you working on a larger project right now?

I have a title: Explanatory Value.  A number of poems I’m not yet happy with.


5. What inspires you?

Visual, visual, visual.  But what to make of what I see?  Meaning and metaphor must kick in.  And of course, the usual things: love and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment