Friday, May 20, 2016

Editor Profile: Phyllis Katz



l. Who are you reading right now?

I am reading Ruth Stone’s What Love Comes to  and In the Galaxy  and Jane Hirshfield’s Come Thief.  I am drawn to Stone’s work because she was so prolific and captivating in her 80’s and I am just turning 80 myself.  I like her wit, her intellect, and the strength and confidence of her voice.  I love the artful, deceptive simplicity and truth of Hirshfield’s poems.  I’ve for the first time been reading her Ten Windows, a wonderful follow up to Nine Gates, both books offering very fine insights into how and why poems work.  I have also just finished Major Jackson’s powerful new book Roll Deep.

2. Do you write on paper or use your computer to generate a first draft? 

I have composed exclusively on the computer for many years; however, I am now doing first drafts in a notebook before I touch the computer, and I am finding this process both more thoughtful and more generative.

3. What books/authors do you keep coming back to?

Pindar and Horace and Neruda for their odes, Sappho for the beauty and mystery of her largely fragmentary poems. Emily Dickinson is a favorite as are Robert Frost and David Ferry.  I am also repeatedly drawn to the work of Maxine Kumin, especially The Long Marriage. I go back frequently to Jean Connor’s beautiful A Cartography of Peace, a marvelous book of clear and deep poems, beautifully executed.


4. Are you working on a larger project right now?

I am beginning to put together a third book of poems, very tentatively entitled Pindar’s Daughter.  After a long unavoidable hiatus, I am determined to make real progress before winter sets in again.

5. What Inspires You?

My husband of 56 years died in January. I have recently written a number of poems born from feelings of loss and grief. Even these poems, however, are often triggered by nature, as well, especially by animals or birds, by works of art or music, or by recent political or social events such as the tragic massive migrations from Africa and Syria. For general subject matter I try to follow the wise observations of my 95 year old poet friend Carol Armstrong, whose recent book is so aptly entitled Everything Waits to be Noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment